This is part two of the adventures in Advaita Vedanta... will you travel with me a while?


Words Beginning With... X

]am
Kshaama - forgiveness
(There is no 'x' in Sanskrit - 'ksh' is the closest sound.)

This post is connected with a reference to forgiveness made in the "Q" for Kharu post. Please note, the first part of this post was written on a different blog and in the context of a regular feature at that time, "The Hindertwig Tales." In 2018 the day conveniently fell for the writing of the 'fable'...

IN HINDERTWIG ONCE.

Low Sooz was brazen. Hill Bert had no idea she had it in her. There was a bit of him which started to wonder. Did she have her own agenda in rising through the ranks? Each night, though, she returned to him on their favourite patch of froth moss, and he was reassured. She was his great love, and he could imagine no other.

Every time, Low Sooz requested his forgiveness. There came the day he wondered at this.

“What to forgive, Soozma? We have agreed on this action between us.”

“Yes, my sweet, but if I do not ask your forgiveness each day, I fear I will never be able to forgive myself. That would lead to forgetfulness, and our road would be fraught with mud and fog.”

“Well!” he declared in return, “again, I am reminded how very wise you are. You are the Master of the art of Hinderness!”

“Master? Surely you mean mistress?”

“No, my sweet. Until we have something to add to the language, I mean Master. I do not believe there is any who can better you. You are equal to all, yet stand apart. I do not only love you, Soozma; I am in awe of you.” He paused, gazing into her luminous eyes. “Soozma, whatever it is that we must do, we do because there is a greater call. Our leader has asked it of us. You will not require my forgiveness, but I give it anyway. Forgiving ourselves… well, that may be harder, the deeper this play takes us. You are right to not let us forget. Forgive whilst things are small, or we may not be able to forgive at all. Is it not so?”

Low Sooz gleamed. Her smile was so gentle, and the look in her eye so understanding. Hill Bert thought that if he never woke tomorrow, heaven could not be this fine.

"Yes, Hillbee… but then to forgive would be greater still."

© Yamini Ali MacLean 2018
↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭

It can be tough to rise above our ego-self both to ask and to say sorry. Please think about this, however... Forgiveness, if applied, does heal. However, if pain continues or worsens, then forgiveness has not been applied, only words spoken. 

Just as there is capital 'ell' Love, there is also True Forgiveness. No grudge held, no festering, no revenge plotted. If we learn to say 'it's okay, I forgive you',' without it being in our hearts and minds, we are not only misleading the forgiven but damaging ourselves as the forgiver. Conversely, if we learn to say sorry for the small things each day, with genuine intent, knowing how to seek forgiveness, we can also find it in ourselves to forgive daily. Our 'forgiveness muscle' gets good exercise so that when the real test comes, we can find that space in our hearts to ask and to give forgiveness. 

Forgetting is not a required part of forgiveness. However, if forgiveness has truly taken place, the remembering can be viewed as if on a screen; the incident may be unpleasant but can not directly affect us. True Forgiveness releases bonds of the past no matter how strong or how tenuous. Only then can we start afresh. 


Learning to properly seek and give forgiveness is one of the most empowering things you will ever do for yourself.


4 comments:

  1. What a powerful story. It speaks deeply to my soul. Thank you for sharing this. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me twenty years to truly forgive my father and in some way myself. I realised that I had made my peace with the past when I experienced thsi: "if forgiveness has truly taken place, the remembering can be viewed as if on a screen'
    That day, I didn't cry, didn't feel any pain, it was exactly like you say--as if I was discussing a film with a friend.
    It's a place of stillness one reaches after much flailing and thrashing:) But, it's a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgiving oneself is often more difficult than forgiving others, perhaps because we tend to hold ourselves to higher standards. Good way to work with a difficult letter.
    I love letter X posts! Always such variety.
    It's hard to believe the blogging challenge is almost over. Then the after survey, reflections, and the road trip sign-up.
    Plus, I'm taking part in the Bout of Books read-a-thon in May. So much excitement!
    J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgiveness is extremely empowering. That's what I have realised.

    ReplyDelete