This is part two of the adventures in Advaita Vedanta... will you travel with me a while?


Textual Tuesday

Hari OM

Having awoken and said a prayer, risen and said a prayer, before proceeding with any other task, it is useful to recite the prayer that is also used at the end of any task, or before going to sleep also. Why place it at the start of the day? For we do not know what our mind has been up to in our sleep! Even if we recall our dreams, the fact is we have no control over our thoughts during this time and they may have been of the sort - or we have dreamed of things which - might be considered 'paapa' (erroneous) so we must seek 'punya' (merits). No chhandas has been hinted here, although there are tunes, for it is sufficient to recite in regular spoken rhythm.

कायेन वाचा मनसेन्द्रियैर्वा बुद्ध्यात्मना वा प्रकृते: स्वभावात्।
करोमि यद्यत् सकलं परस्मै नारायणायेति समर्पयामि॥

Kaayena vaachaa manasendriyairva
Buddhyaatmanaa va prakrite swaabhaavat
Karomi yadyat sakalam parasmai
Naaraayanaa-yeti samarpayaami
Whatever I do with my mind, body, speech or with other senses of my body,
Or with my intellect or with my innate natural tendencies,
I offer everything to the Lord.


to the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment