This is part two of the adventures in Advaita Vedanta... will you travel with me a while?


Thursday Thoughts

Hari Om

Last day of September - already. Autumn is most definitely upon us (in the northern half anyway) and the temps around Aatmaavrajanam central are most definitely heading south! 

I reminded myself of titiksha this week. It is far too early to be firing up the central heating. I am built of sterner stuff, was the self-advice. Just put on some extra layers. Which I did, and all was well. 

Then the news of price hikes in energy production and distribution have been hitting the headlines here in the UK and one is reminded, too, that to have a roof as solid as The Hutch's over my head is a privilege indeed. Even if I cannot afford to heat it, I have the advantage of that shelter, as well as an ample supply of clothing and blankets with which to ensure I do not succumb to the ravages of winter. I also only have myself to look after. There will be many who, despite having housing, will not have quite the same advantage - because they are likely to be tenants and not owners, so rent to be found; they are likely to be limited in their work and earning capacity - if at all they have employment, and very probably have to care for more than just themselves.  More and more are finding themselves without solid housing, even if not of high quality. 

The cycle of history seems to be that at least once in each century there comes a 'great depression' where the differences between those who have and those who have not become so pronounced that a point is reached where a major change has to take place for improvements.

Despite all such tribulations, the human race survives. For the individuals which make up this race, whether we sink or swim through such times is determined by so many factors, but of one thing I am certain - to have a steady intellect, a quiet mind,  and a strong heart (viveka, vairagya, titiksha) sets one up for coping in the most difficult of times. Let each build on these pillars of virtue. By looking after these within ourselves, we become beacons for those around us less able. 



1 comment:

  1. You are right, Yamini. I have felt the same too. Everything is cyclical. There is a self-correction mechanism that Nature invokes periodically.

    ReplyDelete