This is part two of the adventures in Advaita Vedanta... will you travel with me a while?


Thursday Thoughts

Hari OM

Equal to the attentive watchfulness implied by pratiikshate (yesterday's post), there is shravanam - alert and attentive listening. More on that over time, but whilst thinking upon this connection, it occurred to me how many folk simply do not listen to actually learn anything - or at the very least honour the speaker and taking on board properly all that is said before asking questions.

So many people come to philosophical discourses, in particular, but subjects of any form really, with the idea that they themselves carry a certain level of expertise and, therefore, they have nothing else to learn. Many attend meetings of all sorts of notions they have set in their own cement and simply cannot crack themselves open to allow in a little more knowledge. 

That is a shame, don't you think?





4 comments:

  1. Wow, I was just reading yesterday's and today's post at the same time and thinking that particular thing isn't really for me, so I decided not to reply. LOL. I do like meditating on objects though. I hope I'm learning a bit from reading, but this made me chuckle. I always seem to pick up at least a little something from your posts, even when it's nah, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens not just in religious discourses. I guess that is because even before they have listened, they have a prejudiced idea of what they are going to listen, and are already in position to question and argue! Not the right way, definitely. One doesn't learn anything that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      That is indeed my point, Pradeep - and I am often amazed/dismayed at it sometimes coming from those I feel 'could do better'!!! (But that itself is my personal judgement and I do try to keep that at bay... work in progress!) Yxx

      Delete