This is part two of the adventures in Advaita Vedanta... will you travel with me a while?


Whispering Wednesday

Hari OM

The word that kept ringing internally this week is व्रत/vrata. This Sanskrit word pertains to temporary abstinence and is most often used to mean fasting. Direct translation is closer to 'vow' or 'resolve' in matters of devotion and can sometimes also refer to pilgrimage (though that is more commonly referred to as tirtha).

Why did vrata pop to mind? Quite simply due to some slightly uncomfortable gut symptoms that gave rise to thinking a little more carefully about food intake in general and sattvika in particular. I seek to maintain as pure a diet as possible; vegetarian, no alcohol, minimal sugar. Age undoubtedly is playing a part now, and I have been given pause to consider quantity, as well as quality. Little and often may be better for slowing digestion. That said, for long now, I have taken only two meals per day.

Breakfast is the best meal of the day, IMHO. I will generally not eat until I am sure the digestion has awoken - so that might sometimes be when others are considering lunch. Then there will be an evening intake anywhere between 5pm and 8pm. 

Vrata can take place around festivals, some of them being several days in duration, but it is also a practice to fast on Ekadashi or Chaturthi. That is the eleventh or fourth day following a full and new moon, so one day a fortnight. Following the moon is not always appropriate for various reasons, so one day of each fortnight might be chosen. (I, for example, opt for every other Monday). Clearly, in dharma, it is performed as a matter of duty and honour to the devata of the household.

However, there are distinct health benefits to a regular fasting day. This has been practiced for centuries in India. Now, the phenomenon has been "discovered" in the west, and it's the next great marketing diet ploy. 

Whether undertaken for health, spiritual or simply appearances sake, it pays to remain present, be consistent and fully honest about the process. Use the non-food day for contemplative or artistic activity. Vrata can be a useful tool in the path to self-awareness and personal improvement. If nothing else, it will test one's discipline... or should I say, resolve?



3 comments:

  1. Hari Om Yamini.
    What are the odds! I consumed this offering as prasadam on my fasting day. It's Ekadashi. I keep the food intake to fruit and nuts and water for the day. Am trying to give up tea--not easy at all, but resolving to:) Will keep you posted.
    Hope your gut is healing well.
    Stay healthy. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Tea is a most restorative drink - but as always, in moderation! Assuming the reference is to black tea and not herbal. I restrict my black tea drinking (albeit with milk at times) mostly to the morning and then take herbals. I do quite often have several days where no black tea is taken. I actually enjoy just hot water. Indeed, from my teenage years until the meno hit, that is all I took! So do not give yourself a hard time about the tea - unless, of course, you do see it as a habit to be broken - a vaasana - in which case do try the substitution! Yxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you Yamini. It was indeed turning into a 'vaasana' for I couldn't imagine operating (especially writing) without at least a cup of karak chai. Happy to report, I have shed the reliance in about 4 days. The first two days were horrendous! Crazy headaches. I'm down to half a cup in the morning from 2 cups and have cut out the evening cuppa completely. Feels good to share here. Like you, it's mostly warm water now.

      Delete