This is part two of the adventures in Advaita Vedanta... will you travel with me a while?


Thursday Thoughts

Hari OM

I was in conversation with another on a matter of politics. A difficult subject when there is not an intellectual distance from the subject. The partner in that talk was not sufficiently reserved. They were deep in their desire to repeat almost verbatim what was being touted in their chosen news channel and political party. 

I have no objection to others having a different political stance. I do take exception to not being listened to intelligently and not having thoughtful and independently considered responses. What happened, though, was that my sentences were constantly interrupted with rehearsed diatribe in place of counter-argument directly related to the points under discussion. The same methodology now being employed by so many governments. Just keep talking at them and over them until they lose the will to live. I was reminded of this...


I despair at a world that is currently in a state of constant attack with words, that does not know how to debate in a proper manner and to allow for a difference of opinion without seeing that as some kind of assault. A world too ready to take umbrage, misinterpret, and twist facts so far out of shape they become unrecognisable.

It leaves me wondering how things will progress with the COP26 meeting that is about to commence here in Glasgow...



2 comments:

  1. Listening is so important. Sadly not many know how to. And interrupting is simply so rude, is it not? Many also don't know how to respectfully agree to disagree.
    In fact, the world, I think is getting more and more polarised because people are so entrenched in their prejudiced viewpoints, and unwilling to come out of their echo chambers.
    Like so many conferences COP-26 will just be a talking shop and I doubt anything concrete will come out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      True words, Pradeep-bhai! I am deeply concerned as to there being anything seriously done at government levels - too much is dependent on the bigBIG money that is fossil fuel driven... (My Friday post last week on DoWY bloggy spoke to this.) Thank you for taking the time to read back through these posts. Your comments are warmly recieved. I do hope you are looking forward to a joyous Deepavali. Blessings, YAM xx

      Delete